The Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers Classroom Course is designed to provide a wide variety of healthcare professionals the ability to recognize several life-threatening emergencies, provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation – CPR, use an Automated External Defibrillator – AED, and relieve choking in a safe, timely and effective manner and in a wide variety of in-hospital and out-of-hospital settings.
The course takes approximately 4½ hours to complete and course participants are evaluated by skills testing and multiple choice questions (MCQ). This is the only Irish Heart Foundation / American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) course that certifies successful completion for healthcare professionals.
The BLS (HCP) course is the recommended Basic Life Support course for all Healthcare Professionals.
- One and two rescuer Adult CPR
- One and two rescuer Child CPR
- One and two rescuer Infant CPR
- Adult, Child and Infant recovery position
- Adult, Child and Infant choking (conscious and unconscious)
- Safe and effective use of an AED
- Special considerations when using an AED
- Use of face masks & bag-valve-mask devices
- Skills group practice
- Peer group practice
- Video based course ensures consistency
- Instructor led, hands on class format reinforces skills proficiency
- Updated Science based content
Initial Provider Course requires approximately 4½ hours to complete, including skills practice and skills testing. Renewal Course requires approximately 4 hours, including skills practice and skills testing.
*course time based on 1 instructor: 6 student: 2 manikins.
Irish Heart Foundation / American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers Course Completion Card is valid for two years.
Participants who successfully complete the course, including the skills evaluation, will receive an Irish Heart Foundation / American Heart Association Healthcare Provider course completion card (credential). This accreditation is recognised in over 50 countries throughout the world.
This course is eligible for CPD/CME points. The exact number of points you can claim depends on what your occupation/speciality is.
This course is eligible for up to 4.5 hours of face-to-face CPD.